Chapter Projects

 

Patriot Quilt In January of 1998, the chapter voted to create a patriot quilt at the suggestion of the chapter historian and American Heritage chairman, Nancy Burk. During the following months, fabric squares were provided for members to create a design commemorating their patriot ancestor. Guidelines stipulated that the supplied shield pattern was to be incorporated into the design of each square and only a medium which would have been available in Revolutionary times could be used (in other words, no fabric paint, crayon, or markers). In the late fall of 1999, Ann Andersen, Sharon Boggie, Pat Buntin, Virginia Kracaw, Beverly Spooner, and Ellie Yoakam met to decide how to arrange the quilt squares. The chapter logo was placed in the middle, frame and lattice strips were added around the patriots, and the layout for the quilt was complete. Ann Anderson, Pat Buntin, and Virginia Kracaw sewed the quilt pieces and squares together. Pat Buntin did all the quilting. With only the edging unfinished, chapter members had a chance to see the quilt for the first time at their Christmas potluck. It was submitted in several area competitions where it won awards and it took 1st place in the American Heritage contest on both the state and southwest division levels. 
 Tallman / Newlin Cabin﷯ Parker Area Historical Society was awarded a grant for the restoration of the Tallman/Newlin Cabin from the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR). Smoky Hill Trail Chapter NSDAR sponsored the application for the grant. The core of the cabin was built originally by John Tallman in 1866. In the mid 1870s the property was acquired by William Newlin. Over the course of 
the next several years, he added onto the cabin and made it less primitive for his new bride. Mr. Newlin is responsible with bringing the first "short horn" cattle to this area. The current restoration work will return the cabin to its original size and will serve as a great historical feature for the Parker community. Indian Park School Located beyond Sedalia, as Highway 67 winds through Jarre Canyon, sits the 128 year old Indian Park School. Among the historic schools in Douglas County, Indian Park is unlike any other school in the district. The building has never been moved or gone through extensive remodeling. It has, however, changed names many times throughout the years: Jarre Canyon School, Mountain School, Brown's School (named for the family who homesteaded the land adjacent to the school), and finally Indian Park School. ﷯ William Smith purchased the land for the school in 1883. The following year the school was built. In 1885, it was deeded to the district. William Smith and his wife are buried in the Indian Park Cemetery that is adjacent to the school. Members of the Brown family are also buried there. There were never more than twelve students attending the school at any one time and usually there were far fewer. The school also ﷯ served as the site of many community events and picnics. In 1972, the community banded together to save the school from being demolished and were able to raise funds to purchase the property. Other than a small grant, renovations are funded by community fundraisers, donations, and volunteers. In 1978, the building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Our chapter donated the funds to build a wheelchair accessible ramp, and we maintained the grounds of the cemetery next to the school for the last few years.
Patriot Quilt



 

The DAR Insignia is the property of, and is copyrighted by, the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.

 

Questions or comments regarding this site may be addressed to the site Webmaster.

Date last updated: November 2, 2016